I've used many shopping carts (both hosted shopping carts and self hosted shopping carts) and have reviewed the popular ones , Shopify seemed like the easiest one to start. Shopify provides free trial for 2 weeks, so don't hesitate, try out their demo. Here in this post I am providing a beginners tutorial guide to set up a Shopify website in 5 minutes, yes very much in 5 minutes! 🙂
Shopify is really good, but if you want to save money read my blogpost about best method in starting an ecommerce store by yourself under 100 USD.
Section 1 - Creating a Shopify account.
1.1 Get into Shopify Login and select the Create Your Store Now Option. Signup to the store entering your personal details(email,username,address,phone etc).
1.2 After signing up into the store, you'll get the web address to your store mine was (linjo.shopify.com). Once the store is created select the Manage My Store option.
Have a look at my store front end,
Section 2 - Explaining Shopify Dashboard
The major sections given in the Shopify admin side are
- Orders - Here goes your orders section, all your processed, non processed orders will be listed here
- Products - Product management section goes here, you can add a new product to your store from here.
- Discounts, Gift Cards - If you want to give a gift card or particular discount to your products you can set it from this section.
- Reports - Reports section will show you the visitors flow to your website.
- Blog Posts - Shopify allows you to create a blog for your ecommerce website and you can manage your blog posts from this section
- Pages- You can add custom pages (say an about us page)to your ecommerce store from this section
- Themes - Through this section you can navigate to your theme store where you can select good looking themes(free/premium) for your website
- Apps - Like your android/ios phone apps Shopify also have its own app store from which you can download Shopify apps and can install into your store . Example : A popup window application which displays notifications in a popup
- Settings- Here lies your store settings like adding a new domain, managing shipping, checkout etc
Section 3 - Adding a domain to your Shopify ecommerce store .
Well, you've seen my temporary domain (linjo.shopify.com ), adding a new domain to your Shopify account is that easy.
Go to the Settings section and take the Domains tab and select the Add New Domain option in the right hand side (check screenshot)
You can register a new domain name or can link an existing domain to your Shopify account(very easy than you think :)). Just enter a domain name and add it to your account (by purchasing it or by pointing your ip into domain registrars admin section). Contact Me, if you have any doubts regarding this.
Adding a new product in Shopify should not take more than 60 seconds (it is that easy). Get into the Products Menu and Add a New product. You can also Add a new product from the dashboard(right hand side) itself.
The default Shopify theme is too ordinary and for sure no one will buy from your store if you are using that 🙂 . You need to select a new theme for your store from the themes section. Both free and premium shopfiy themes would be available in different niche . Select one according to your preferences
Thats all with the basic tutorial for Shopify, clearly you can start a descent e-commerce store following this tutorial. Hope you enjoyed this Shopify Tutorial.